What differences are there in the definitions of information literacy that you have been introduced to?
I never realised how important Information literacy is to learners. Although the term is relativity new to me, I am sure that I have seen it with other titles! I am also amazed at the number of information literacy models there are.
I think so far, I like Kuhlthau model. I like the fact that Kuhlthau talks about feelings .I certainly felt anxiety at the beginning of starting our first assignment.
What are your views on Guided Inquiry? What advantages, challenges and/or disadvantages do you see for a TL wishing to implement a GI approach?
I love the fact that students are responsible for their learning and that teachers and teacher librarians are there to support and guide the students. Guided Inquiry seems like a fantastic teaching strategy for middle and senior schools. As lower primary teacher, I wonder how this strategy can be used in the effectively in the classroom? Concept mapping is a great strategy the lower primary so was rather excited to read the article by Herring using concept maps.
How can teacher librarians and teachers encourage students to transfer information literacy skills and practices?
· Time to plan collaboratively with teachers and TLs is essential.
- Being open to try new ways of teaching
- Asking for feedback from students to see if the teaching strategies are working and to see what areas the students want more help
Has the school in which you work (or know best) developed an information literacy policy?
Not that I am aware of but I will investigate and ask my former colleagues if there is one.
Should this be an essential policy for a 21st century school?
Absolutely essential now that literacy has changed and developed so much in the last 30 years. Being information literate is now of vital importance to being a functioning member of society no matter what your profession.
How is information literacy approached in your school or experience? Do you see gaps in the approach used, and if so, where?
Information Literacy in the form of internet use and connection has been brought forward greatly in the last few years but teacher professional development to use these new technologies is lacking.
How can a transliteracy approach expand the teaching role of the TL beyond the traditional information literacy paradigm?
No idea! Will need to do more reading and research!
Overall all thoughts on Information Literacy
I’m beginning to see the reasons for the blogs and forums!! I great way for us as students to reflect on what we know and define our thoughts further! And for our lecturers to monitor our progress in learning.
I am wondering what information literacy in the early years looks like as most of the reading were based on middle and senior years of schooling. Something else to investigate in my spare time!
No comments:
Post a Comment