Webnair notes
· Literacy is a passion and purpose that underpins all our work!
· We need to teach students how to read words, images, sounds, video interaction simultaneously.
· There are many ways the TL can be connected with the curriculum
Problems/ Barriers to Inquiry based learning:
· It’s a different of teaching and some people are reluctant to change what “has been working”!
· May initially take more time as the students are not spoon fed but need to find information themselves
· Teachers and TLs need to develop new skills and teaching strategies to use inquiry based learning
Inquiry based learning : children learn by doing it
Reflections on my teaching practice
I guess over the last few years, while either being pregnant or having very young children, teaching become a just a job that paid the bills. Before children it was easy to spend hours planning, preparing and marking. Since children I found that I had to find the quickest way to get things done. Professional Development became non-existent as I was just trying to keep on top of the essentials! I am finding that studying is opening my mind to how much help and professional development is out there, you just have to find it. I think that when I return to teaching in the future, I will be better prepared to get the balance better and continue to improve my teaching.
http://del.icio.us – a useful site where you can bookmark important/favourite pages.
Just finished reading the excerpt from Boss and Krauss, and found it really interesting. I have heard of Project Based Learning but not seen it in practice. It seems like a great way to for students to learn. I was really impressed with the way they gave some very basic instructions regarding how to set up blogs, etc. For someone who is learning lots about technology and its uses, I found this reading very informative. It has also shown me ways to improve my teaching practice.
Forum Questions
What is an appropriate role for the teacher librarian in curriculum development?
TLs should be collaborating with classroom teachers, to ensure the resources available for appropriate and useful and to keep current with that classroom teachers need.
What benefits can a school obtain from the active involvement of the teacher librarian in curriculum development?
Should a principal expect that teachers would plan units of work with the teacher librarian?
As ideal as this would be, I don’t think it is practically going to work all the time. It would be physically impossible for TLs to be involved in all units of work and not all teachers would appreciate/see the value of this. However, being available for teachers may be a more practical way.
How are students disadvantaged in schools that exclude the teacher librarian from curriculum development?
More heads/thoughts= more ideas/better outcomes
No comments:
Post a Comment