Monday, 12 September 2011

Collaboration

My thoughts on last weeks topic - Collaboration
Collaboration is so important for teacher librarians, teachers and students. It is actually something that I am quite passionate about. When working together much better results can be achieve for all involved!
Love this quote from Fullan, M. (1999). Deep meaning of inside collaboration. In Change forces : the sequel (pp. 31-41). London : Falmer Press.
p.31 “collaborative schools are essential for success”
Senge                           
p.12 When you ask people what it is like being part of a great team, what is most striking is the meaningfulness of the experience. People talk about being part of something larger, than themselves, of being connected, of being generative. It becomes quite clear that for many, that their experiences of truly great teams, stand out as singular periods of life lived to the fullest. Some spent the rest of their lives trying to recapture that spirit.
Cibulka, J., Coursey, S.,Nakayama, M., Price, J. & Stewart, S. (2003). Schools as learning organisations: A review of the literature. National College for School Leadership, UK
p.3 They also suggest that teachers are learners, for whom the same principles apply as for children’s learning. Professional development (PD) plans should be based not on the simple notion of ‘updating’ but on continuous growth and change.

I found the section on PD very interesting. Coming from a school where in the 8 years I was there, I only attended on 2 PD seminars outside of the school and am now beginning to see the negative impact this has not only on my teaching but on the all the teachers and therefore on the students learning.

What possibilities arise for collaboration between teachers and the teacher librarian?
I think that the possibilities are endless, the question is more how are TL’s and teachers  prepared to collaborate?
-          Team planning
-          Finding of new resources
-          Implementing new strategies throughout  the Library and classroom
-          General support ( TL’s to teachers and teachers to TL’s)

Listening to Joyce Valenza and I am realising (again) how much I have to learn!
Now reading Manifesto for 21st century school librarians. October and realising even more how much I need to update my technology skills to have a hope of being an effective TL.
What a huge (but worthwhile) aim for TL to implement!

Montiel-Overall, P. (2005). A theoretical understanding of teacher and librarian collaboration, School Libraries Worldwide, 11(2), 24-48.

p. 28 I was surprised to read that a definition for collaboration was hard to define and that collaboration has come to mean “many things to many people”.
p.29 “At a minimum, collaboration involves two individuals working together to accomplish something with minimal effort to maximize efficiency.”

I know this may be a simplistic definition but when you go back to basics this is what collaboration is regardless of the circumstance. I also found it really interesting to read the terminology definitions.
I think that it is great that the author talks about the emotions that are involved in collaboration. When teachers and TL’s enjoy planning something together they are more likely to do it again!

Harvey, C.A. (2004). The Rookie: A primer to help you survive your first year with flying colours, School Library Journal, 50(9), 50–52.
p. 51 A great idea to write a newsletter for staff to keep them up to date with new technologies but also to show you are there to help when needed.
p. 52 Collaboration is easier when people know and respect each
other.
Enjoyed reading about how the TL can help Lower primary teachers. What a simple but effective way for the TL and teacher to collaborate effectively. I think it was great that both the TL and teacher were experienced and were able to see each other’s expertise and use them to help the students learn and enjoy this process!
Also thought it was great that Harada gave simple guidelines (p.32, 33) for teachers and TLs to implement action research projects in their school. I was unaware of any action research happening that the school where I was working.

No comments:

Post a Comment