o Openess
o Responsiveness
o Collaboration
o Communication
Id say not just to be an effective librarian, but an effective teacher and also a person!
Effective Time Managment
Zone 1. Structured time – in the classroom, scheduled meetings etc.
Zone 2. Unstructured work time - all work related tasks
Zone 3. Your personal life - everything but work
I have struggled to find the balance this semester. I think that I have spent time wasted on unimportant tasks and then had to scramble to complete the important things. I wanted to study to have a little more balance in my life, now I just have to work out the best balance!
I need to take time to plan my day... I have always been a list person, and have tried to use this strategy this semester, I think its working for the zone 3 part of my life but I could work on this a little more for Zone 1 & 2. I also think that to set aside specific time each week that is study time, would help me fell less out of control!
The Seven Most Critical Challenges Facing Our Profession
I like this quote from Johnson
“Our very vulnerability demands that we as a profession need to continually find ways to strengthen our programs and roles.”
Just finished reading Johnson’s article, what a positive and encouraging article! I enjoyed that he spoke positively about the challenges TLs face rather than a woe is me attitude. If, we as TLs (or potential TLs), are proactive in promoting our professionalism then others will see our attitudes and want to be involved and also see the importance the TL plays in the school environment.
Another quote which caught my eye from the same article
“Let's just face it, good school library resource programs may never be seen as a permanent part of the educational landscape. Gifted and talented programs, art programs, academic and athletic extra-curricular programs and even school counseling programs -- anything in a school that goes beyond one teacher, 30 students and a textbook -- can and will be seen as non-essential by some decision-makers.”
I think this is very true, each person in life and in schools have different areas that they think are essential. It is up to individuals to promote their programs and have a positive approach to other programs. That age old saying “treat others they way you want to be treated!” I don’t think this means that you need to agree with each other but at least see each others positive influences on the student learning.
Johnson also talks about the importance of collaboration, I feel that this has become one of the main tasks of the TL and have found that I cant help but talk about it in both of my assignments.
No comments:
Post a Comment