Here are some thoughts on the subject and assignments that I have just completed.
- I have been challenged by the large extent of knowledge the teacher librarian needs to know (or have access to) to effectively assist their teaching colleagues and student body. I have seen the important of having a clear and concise policy that is used by all library staff to ensure that they best assist the library users. Bishop (2007, p. 34) stated that written policies have a multi faceted role by saving staff time, helping library users and staff “avoid confusion and provide guidance”. Through writing this assignment I have began to see how well written policy documents can be a teacher librarians (or teachers) best friend, especially in light of challenged materials. Kennedy (2006, p. 12) talks about how a policy document is like a planning document and through writing this assignment I have began to understand the importance of well written policy document to assist the teacher librarian plan their library collection development.
- I have been challenged by the importance of digital resources and how they, now and in the future, will be a major part of all library collections. I found this particularly hard to write in the policy as there appears to be such a large variety of ways digital resources are obtained and used and retained and I think that this is an area that will constantly develop and need reviewing as new resources become available.
- Of all the reading I have done for this subject, I found the chapter by Debowski (2001) on Collection Management Policies, not only useful but also very interesting. It is clearly stated in the chapter what should be included in a collection management policy and I found the chapter had many practical applications.
I most of this subject interesting, useful and practical for a potential teacher librarian and hope that the next subjects are as interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment